- HomeStart was created by the South Australian Government in 1989, as a response to high interest rates and a lack of affordable home loan finance options
- HomeStart was established as a statutory corporation under the Housing and Urban Development (Administrative Arrangements) Act 1995 and reports to the Minister for Housing and Urban Development.
- Since 1989, HomeStart has assisted over 66,000 South Australian households into home ownership
- HomeStart provides affordable housing solutions in South Australia, through innovative loan products such as the Shared Equity Option which may be able to increase your borrowing power by 33% without increasing your repayments.
- HomeStart employs approximately 100 employees
- HomeStart's headquarters are in Adelaide
- The following Loan Managers are accredited HomeStart lenders:
- Bank SA
- HomeStart also has a broad network of brokers who can offer HomeStart products.
- Home buyers seminars - HomeStart conducts home buyers seminars providing valuable information and insights into the steps involved in buying a property. We run general home buyers seminars, as well as seminars aimed at specific groups
- Affordable Homes website – created in conjunction with Housing SA, the Affordable Homes program lists affordable homes from private developers and builders, as well as Housing SA properties currently on the market
- Community Lending Team - HomeStart's Community Lending Team can provide debt finance to not-for-profit organisations to increase the supply of affordable rental housing in South Australia
- Shared equity projects – HomeStart has been involved with local councils including the City of Salisbury and Adelaide City Council on ventures that allow home buyers to get started sooner through shared equity loans on new housing developments.
- MyStart – HomeStart's educational website aims to help you achieve your home ownership goals. Learn more about the home buying process, saving tips, questions to ask your real estate agent and much more.
HomeStart executive team
Chief Executive – John Oliver
Head of Retail – Deb Dickson
Chief Financial Officer – David Hughes
Head of Strategic Development – Andrew Mills
HomeStart has been acknowledged through numerous awards including:
- Australian Lending Awards – 2012
- Australian Business Awards – 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Australian Teleservice Awards – 2009
- National Awards for Planning Excellence – 2009
- Professional Awards for Housing Excellence – 2009
HomeStart quick links